Home |  Back |  Background |  Progress |  Presentations |  Availability |  Wind Tunnel |  Aircraft |  Motor Vehicle |  Email Group |  Contact

Sinha Deturbulator Progress Reports

Progress Articles
9/17/2003 First successful test of Sinha deturbulator on a glider
10/18/2003 Further drag reductions on Standard Cirrus wing
  Baseline polar for performance testing
2/8/2004 Progress Report: SSA Convention in Atlanta
2/28/2004 First outer-span test
5/27/2004 Wind tunnel goes into operation
8/31/2004 Stereolithography used for wind tunnel wing sections
12/3/2004 First success on upper surface of Standard Cirrus wing
12/12/2004 More success on upper surface of Standard Cirrus wing
2/18/2005 First Sink-Rate Measurement
(revised 3/13/2005)
2/26/2005 Second Sink-Rate Measurement: Some Encouraging Data
3/19/2005 First Parallel Flight - vs. ASW-28
3/19/2005 Measurements with Full Top Surface Deturbulation
9/12/2005 A Performance Endurance Issue
10/29/2005 It’s Deturbulation Time Again
1/9/2006 Paper Presented at AAIA Annual Conference
2/3/2006 Talk Presented at SSA Annual Convention
5/6/2006 Paper Presented at AAIA Flow Control Conference
7/1/2006 Notes on Endurance and the Temperature/Humidity Issue
10/21/2006 Measurements Show 20% Improvement!
(revised 1/3/07)
12/13/2006 Deturbulator Performance Confirmed!
1/2/2007 Calibrated Airspeeds
12/13/2006 Summary of Johnson Flight Test
(revised 2/10/2007)
12/13/2006 Details of Johnson Flight Test
(revised 12/26/2007)
12/01/2007 Johnson Effect Confirmed
(revised 12/26/2007)
06/7/2008 Third Parallel Flight - vs. Diana 1
(revised 8/3/2008)

Publications and Presentations
1/2006 Sailplane Performance Improvement Using a Flexible Composite Surface Deturbulator - Sinha
(PDF, 1174 KB)
6/2006 Drag Reduction of Natural Laminar Flow Airfoils with a Flexible Surface Deturbulator - Sinha
(PDF, 757 KB)
2/2007 Wing Surface Deturbulators - Johnson
(PowerPoint, 2140 KB)
2/2007 Revolutionary Aerodynamics - Sinha
(PDF, 856 KB)
6/2007 Optimizing Wing Lift to Drag Ratio Enhancement with Flexible-Wall Turbulence Control - Sinha
(PDF, 588 KB)
8/2007 Improving Automotive Fuel Efficiency with Deturbulator Tape - Sinha
(PDF, 1368 KB)


First Sink-Rate Measurement (2/18/2005)
Article revised 3/13/2005 to correct for spreadsheet error.

Figure 25. Erroneous Graph of first sink rate measurement.

Before publishing this article the first time, I was advised against making these data public so quickly. I should have listened! Now I have to report that a spreadsheet error caused the two data series shown in Figure 25 to fall unusually close to each other. This convinced me that we had hit a golden day, with little vertical air movement aloft, making the results reliable. But, alas, that was not the case.

Figure 25a shows the corrected data. Here, the blue curve is the first series, taken at the highest altitudes, and the green curve is the second series taken lower down. The 40 kt point occurs only in the first (blue) data.

Following is the revised report:


On Friday, February 18, we took advantage of a break in the weather to test the effect of the first extended application of deturbulator on an aircraft. This was the first in a sequence of partial applications that will result in a full application of deturbulator on Standard Cirrus #60. For this flight, we had deturbulator on most of the inboard 14 feet of the top side of both wings (root to aileron). There was an untreated gap of about 18 inches on each wing near the outboard end, there was another at the wing root and there was no deturbulator on the bottom surfaces. Roughly, we treated 47% of the top span.

Our purpose was not to obtain a complete polar. We only wanted enough data to show if the deturbulator was working and perhaps whether it was helping or hurting performance. Because we have to drive 5 hours each time we fly, we usually manage only one flight a day. So, we decided to take data at fewer speeds and to use the altitude we save for a second set of data to indicate the scatter due to air movement.

The tow and the flight went normally, without handling problems. But, at low speeds, I found myself flying faster than I thought I should have been and it took more aft stick than usual to slow down below 50 kts. The stall speed was unchanged, between 35 and 36 kts indicated. I am flying this glider very close to maximum gross weight without water ballast.

Figure 25a is a graph of the sink rates measured on 2/18/05 vs. the baseline polar previously measured for the same aircraft.

Figure 25a. Corrected graph of first sink rate measurement.

Figures 26 and 27 show drag probe data at two span stations on the upper surface of the wing during this flight. They show that the deturbulator behaved the same as on two previous flights.

The large deviations in the two data series (Figure 25a) indicates changes in the air mass movement as the glider descended, making the data from this one flight inconclusive. We will continue working toward a full span application of deturbulator on the upper wing surfaces and take enough data at that time for a conclusive indication of the effect on performance. We will then look at the bottom surfaces.

Jim Hendrix
Oxford Aero Equipment



Figure 26. Drag data at 53" station (blue circles) vs. prior flights and baseline.
Figure 27. Drag data at 167" station (blue circles) vs. prior flights and baseline.


Airspeeds shown in graphs are instrument calibrated. The aircraft airspeed system is not calibrated. Errors in the Standard Cirrus static/Pitot system bias the data towards higher speeds. This makes polars seem better than they really are. However, this is not an issue when the purpose is only to show comparitive data on the same glider.


Home
Contact

© Copyright 2003-2008 Jim Hendrix